Thursday, September 11, 2008

Maybe Kind of Flakey?


A list of miscellaneous thoughts. I promise to post something crafty soon.


1) Okay, so remember how I was training for a 5K. And was like, dudes, I am GOING to run a 5K. No. Matter. What. Don't let me flake out. I'm running it. Seriously. And then I got shin splints. And then I started my training over again but this time made sure to warm up and stretch really well before and after running.

Well, then I got shin splints again. Took a break. Started again trying to run differently along with lots of warming up and stretching. Got them again. So, I'm out. I've done a lot of research on the topic and found a lot of really great exercises to strengthen the shin muscles and blah blah blah. The thing is -- I don't like running. It's not something I have a passion for or a drive to do. It's not something that I want to do so much that I want to spend a lot of time specifically working on those exercises to just be able to run. Call me lazy, maybe. But, I'd rather just find something else to do.

2) Also, remember how I was going to have my etsy shop up by February? And then by July? And then, "any day now". Well, also not happening. I have a few things done, but I feel like it'd be pretty lame to open a shop for a whole 5 items. And it was stressing me out so much thinking about it constantly and feeling like a failure because I wasn't making the kind of progress I wanted to on it.

So, I'm just chillin' and am going to see what happens. I have no deadline any more. Truthfully, there are other things in my life right now that I need to focus on. Other things that I need to make a priority at the moment. I'll open the shop eventually, but I'm not going to make myself feel bad about it anymore.

3) This week the weather has finally cooled down! I'm SOOO happy. I can't even express my joy. It's actually pretty disturbing, and also not very balanced, but the weather actually has a great impact on my entire life. When it's hot I just feel like I don't care about anything. I'm unmotivated, uncreative, lazy, and don't care that I'm those things. Or don't care enough to actually do anything about it, anyway. When it's cool and overcast and winter-y I'm like, stoked on life and get a million things done. I just feel so much better. It's like backwards Seasonal Affective Disorder or something.

Every morning this week I've gotten up at 7am and gone walking, done some strength exercises, showered and dressed all before starting work at 8:30. It's been incredible -- cool and foggy and gray in the morning. I've been amazingly productive and motivated to make and meet goals. And I just feel so...right. Like, at peace. Maybe I'm silly, but it's how I feel. I'm crossing my fingers that the weather stays and continues to get more fall-ish. I need it.

P.S. By "cooler" I mean in the 80s. In the mornings when I go walking it's in the 60s. Doesn't sound all that cool, I know, but compared to last week when it was 85 by the time I got up in the morning...it's downright winter-y.

4) I just found out that there is another baby in our circle of friends that is on it's way. Yahoo! It seems like every time one baby is born, someone else gets pregnant. It's been non-stop babies for the past year. Fun! Who's going to be next??? :)

P.S. No, definitely not me, thanks.


9 comments:

kelly said...

I love this post. It feels so liberating! like you're just letting go of stuff that's been on your mind. It's not even MY post and I feel more free...like I need to do the same thing...just let a few things go. thanks for the inspiration. (now...what to let go of...?)

I can't wait to see your new crafty stuff. Sheena and I were just talking about how we wish we were as talented as you. (well, she is crafty, I'm not). Love to see your stuff!
AND...what big birthday plans to you have?? I can't believe it's that time again already, yea!

Kaja said...

yay! it's good to hear from you again. i love when the weather cools down, too. it's finally starting to do that here and i feel like i can do things again instead of melt on my couch.

Lisa said...

You know what? I'm not good at running either. I am planning on mostly walking my half marathon next year.

AuroraLeigh said...

Concerning the weather; I am exactly the same way. I just feel depressed for most of summer and winter - but during those mid-seasons when there tends to be a lot of clouds,rain, and those bright grey-blue mornings I feel utterly happy and like everything is finally right in the world.

April and September are my favourite months of the year.

Christen said...

I'm tired of people feeling as thought they need to run. Not everyone is cut out for running! Some of us get shin splints and side cramps easier than others! (Ahem, me!) I like walking better. To me, it's more relaxing. I can't be relaxed while running ... I'm too worried about the cramp in my side or the jiggle in my butt.

Morgan Jane said...

What a fun blog, Cara. I've also been complaining about the sunshine around here. Seriously, it's Septemeber. If that doesn't start off the autumn feel, I dont' know what does. It also helps that Starbucks started serving the "Pumpkin Spice Latte" again. Decaf, or course!

And thanks for the good wishes, it certainly is baby season around here! Are you sure you don't want to join Lisa and I??? If I don't talk to you on Sunday, have an excellent birthday celebration!

cara lou said...

Kelly: Thanks!! Yes, it does kind of feel like a weight has been lifted. Haha. No big plans. A massage? I guess that's exciting. Haha. And of course our traditional bday dinner. Wish you guys could come.

Christen: Yes. The jiggle in my butt was also quite distracting to the running. Made worse by the jiggling everywhere else.

Morgan: Crap!! Pumpkin Spice Latte? I forgot about those. I think I'll be making a little trip over there this weekend...

And yes, I'm sure. :) But thanks for the bday wishes!

sheena said...

i love this post!! and is that a plate in the photo....?? LOVE it whatever it may be.

This week has been cooler for us a well....and I can't believe how much I'm getting done!! I've started seriously like 5 projects in the past 24 hours...we'll see how soon they get done--but at least I've started...right??

and just know that whenever your shop is up...I'll be there waiting!

cara lou said...

Sheena: Yes, that's the little plate and new apron I got myself for my birthday from Anthro. Love them!!

Good luck on your projects!