Monday, September 22, 2008

Warning: Self-Pity Ahead

Have we talked about how my husband is the best ever? If not, we really should. Because he is. John just took the babe somewhere so I could have some much needed time alone. He was out of town all weekend so I was a single parent -- which was totally fine, but it was tiring to never get a break. And then last night and today William was just way more cranky and sensitive than usual. I got probably 5 hours of actual sleep last night. And I need more than that. I'm tired. And spent. So thank you, sweetie, for giving me a little time.

I've had a rough day, emotionally, too. Remember this clothing crises/melt-down I had, eerily enough, exactly one year ago (it actually was September 22 -- creepy!)? Well, it basically happened again today. I'm just so discouraged. I'm in this horrible in-between stage where nothing fits. Stores do not carry my size. "Normal" stores don't carry anything big enough and "plus-size" stores don't carry anything small enough. Am I the only person who wears this size??

So anyway, I was trying to find a skirt or a new pair of jeans. I tried on several pairs at varying stores and it was just ridiculous. I ended up in a horrible mood wanting to either kill myself or kill the whole world. My wardrobe right now is so pathetic. It consists of one pair of ill-fitting jeans, about 5 t-shirts in varying degrees of disintegration (I'm never buying clothing from Target again) and a couple cardigan-type things that are not weather appropriate yet. Anyway, it sucks. I'm pissed. I'll just have to continue looking and feeling like an idiot for the next few months (as I have for the past year) until I get down to a "normal" size. Blah.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love love love this fabric combo! This will be turned into something for a baby shower coming up...




Anyway. Moving on. Saturday was EXCELLENT. I went to my favorite local quilting shop to spend my birthday money and was instantly greeted by a display of my favorite designer's fabrics! Heather Bailey just came out with a new line and I've been dying to get my hands on some. The quilting shop did not previously carry her stuff, so I figured I'd have to buy it online. I'm so happy!! Plus, it turns out that the shop gives you a percentage discount of half of your age if it's the week of your birthday! I had no idea before going in there and it was very exciting.



I also got some Amy Butler fabric which I'm stoked on. I hadn't seen her there at the quilting shop before either. Woot!

Another exciting thing: Back on December 26, 2006 our favorite Indian restaurant burned to the ground. It was heartbreaking. Luckily, we had just eaten there days before. Happily, this Indian restaurant happens to in the same center as my quilting shop and while I was there on Saturday I saw that the restaurant was back in business! Every month or so we'd drive by to check on the rebuild progress and I could see that it was close to being done last time. So, last night John met me and William there and we had some amazing chicken curry and chicken makhini (sp?). Yum! No other place can beat it. William liked it, too!




As for my quilt progress, it's coming along. It's far from perfect, but I think it's going to be cute. If I had actually like, read any sort of instruction before starting it probably would be better, but it's not too bad. Now I know all the things I should have done differently by learning the hard way.



I got some fabric for the backing that doesn't exactly match or even really go with the front, but I loved it too much. Plus, this quilt is for me, so it goes together if I say it does. And I think I've decided to tie rather than quilt it. I was looking at these two quilts I have that were made in the 1930's and they are both tied and there's just something so nice and home-y about them. I guess I'll have to research how to tie a quilt without one of those big frames. Embroidery hoop??

So, anyway, happy fall, you peeps. I'm so happy that it's now officially autumn and I am hoping for some appropriate weather soon.

Also, my sister Beth recently introduced me to the devil incarnate: Fried Ice Cream Ice Cream. It's just store brand but it is quite possibly one of the best things I've ever eaten. The cinnamon/honey combo rocks my socks off. And also makes it impossible to fit into clothing, apparently.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm sorry you had such a horrible time trying to find jeans! I hate shopping for clothing. I'm going to have to do it again soon because nothing I currently own will fit me after the babe is here. I don't even recognize my body anymore.

I do recognize that Amy Butler fabric on the right though... That's what I made my diaper bag out of. :)

Kaja said...

I know all about the not-being-able-to-find-clothes-that-fit. Unfortunately, I gave up to some degree and I just bought stretchy pants from Walmart. Isn't that a shame? Well, I'm home most of the day anyway and then when I do go out I put on my few pair of jeans that fit. Our bodies will never be the same... to counter that I just keep looking at my crazy kids and say "yes, it IS worth it!"

Nellie and Jason said...

So, I LOVE fried ice cream. I've never tried a store bought kind, but next time you come to Logan, go eat at Cafe Sabor and save room for their fried ice cream. It's gigantic, and the BEST thing that's ever happened to me!! Haha...and probably the reason why I ALSO can't fit into normal clothes.

Material Mary said...

Cara, if you want to tie the quilt, get a low loft batt big enough for the quilt. If you have a large space on the counter top, layer the back of the quilt, batt, and top and use quilting safety pins. They have this bend in them and makes it really smooth for these kind of processes. Pin about every 6 inches. Check the back and make sure there are no puckers. If so, straighten and repin until it looks good on front and back with no puckers. You can tie with yarn, embroidery floss or with pearl cotton (my choice) and then trim and bind. Email me with any ??
Mary

Ruth said...

I'm sorry you're having a hard time shopping right now. =( But for someone who doesn't have many clothes that fit, you always look so cute and put together.

I always tell myself I'm not going to buy Target clothes anymore. But then I don't listen to my own advice and end up with a shrunken sweater or shirt with a twisty seam. Think I would have learned by now....there's a reason why they are cheap! Grrr.

pollywallydoodle said...

Cara darling--I am sure you have noticed my boring body and all the dull things I have worn over the last 11 1/2 yrs. I have no sense of style coupled with the body issues you face--too small for LB type stores and too thick for most normal type stores!! So here is the thing--I totally feel your pain!!xoxoxoox