Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Logically



When I have 3 projects I need to get done by certain dates (baby shower, birthdays) what do you think I do? Start a completely unrelated and irrelevant project, of course!

I am making myself a little lap quilt out of fabric scraps. My craft cupboard is really kind of out of control (mostly cause the organizational system in it doesn't really work for my purposes) and I need to get rid of some stuff. So...scrap quilt!

I don't actually know what I'm doing. I'm just like, doing what I think makes sense. We'll see how it turns out.

I cut out a million 3x3 squares until it seemed like I had enough for the size I wanted. Also, until I ran out of scraps.

Now I'm just sewing them into strips and pressing the seams. Then I'll sew the strips together. Still not sure how I'm going to quilt it -- either just doing vertical lines like the last two quilts I made, or tying. I'm still too intimidated to try to do machine quilting at this point. Plus it would require actually like, researching and learning what to do, I think. Way too much work.



Wish me luck!

8 comments:

suzy said...

I am impressed. That looks like a huge lap quilt! But I guess once it's all sewn up it will be smaller. My sister just started a quilt and she is doing the quilting by hand. She just bought a stencil of the design she wants to do and one of those embroidery hoops. I think she is crazy, but it's a good idea. Good luck with your other projects!

Alissa said...

Oh, I can see that's going to be so pretty! The colors are beautiful. You can do what I've done as far as quilting goes...hire somebody else to do it, LOL! The fun is in the designing and creating.

ali said...

this is going to be darling. I love seeing all your projects. keep em coming!

Lisa said...

It's really pretty!

Miriam Herm said...

good luck! one of these days I want to come over while you craft and just learn from you. You know all of these wonderful things that I want to know!

Nellie and Jason said...

I love all those scraps! Cute color scheme. I'm jealous of your crafty-ness. But you already know that I'm sure.

Mara said...

That is going to be adorable. I'm awed by the individual squares-- everyone I know that quilts eould have strip-pieced it! But that doesn't use up scraps the same way, or give the randomness to the squares...

Jayci said...

You have no idea who I am or whatever. But, I came across your blog and saw the quilting and I LOVE to quilt. Just thought I'd tell you I love your scrap quilt! I usually end up loving my scrap quilts more than the perfectly put together ones. They just have so much personality! And laying the pieces out (like in the picture) is my FAVORITE part of quilting. Have so much fun!