Friday, April 3, 2009

Back to Life, Back to Reality

We've been home for a week now...and I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. Back to our morning walks, watering the plants, never-ending picking up after a toddler, kickboxing classes, and some sewing and crafting that I'm really excited about. And juggling that all with actual work-work.

Speaking of plants...


They survived my absence! And not only that, they actually grew!


The tomatoes grew several inches and the Early Girl even has a flower.



I'm so relived. Of course, this is only the first of several times they'll be left to their own devices over the next 5 months...so I'm still worried.

There was one disturbing discovery when we got home, however. I put the peppermint plant in our kitchen window while we were away, along with the cilantro. When we got back, I found that the peppermint had grown to insane proportions, but also had tons of little tiny green bugs all over the stems. I need to do some research but I'm pretty sure they're aphids. I'm so grossed/creeped out. Blech. Anyone have any good advice on how to get rid of them? For now I've just separated it from the other plants.

The lemon tree has lots of open blossoms. I think I need to get some other flowers back there to get some bee action happening. And I still need to fertilize. It's still a bit naked in the leaf department.




Some exciting crafties coming soon!!

3 comments:

Trevy said...

Lady bugs are extremely efficient aphid controllers. Plus they are cute. You can buy them an any well stocked garden supplier.

Kaja said...

I love how well your plants are doing! I'm afraid my attempt at flowers are dying a miserable death. My few zucchini seeds are trying with all their might, though.

Sweet Mess said...

Kickboxing class? That is awesome!
Here is a link for dealing with aphids. They are so gross...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4030_rid-aphids-naturally.html